Many patients say that their primary desire is to have a pearly set of white teeth. Teeth are one of the first things that people notice about your appearance, so it is vital for everybody to have a healthy and whiter-looking smile. Teeth whitening procedure is a popular choice of treatment not only for cosmetic reasons. A teeth whitening procedure may be undertaken for several other reasons such as stained teeth, food habits, discoloration related to medication, etc. Certain prescription medications such as Tetracycline could discolor teeth if prescribed when you were younger while the adult teeth were still developing. Another reason you may consider teeth whitening could include reducing the look of fluorosis, which is when you had taken fluoride treatment when your teeth were developing. This condition leaves large white or yellow lines on teeth that can be treated by teeth whitening.
What are the reasons for the teeth discoloration?
The enamel, which reflects the natural color of your tooth, can stain or dentin, which is the inner surface stains and yellows the teeth. The causes of tooth discoloration are wide-ranging. Though some of the causes of discoloration can be avoided, some are beyond our control. The causes of discoloration include:
- Habits such as frequent consumption of tea, coffee, and wine could be a leading cause for the teeth stains.
- Cigarette smoking and chewing of tobacco.
- Intake of high fluorides during childhood.
- The teeth could also be stained due to taking some medications.
As we age, the enamel can get thinner, exposing the inside dentin layer. This dentin, when it comes into contact with specific food colors, can stain the teeth. Thus age also plays a considerable role in stained teeth.
What are the different Tooth Whitening options?
- In-Office Whitening:This procedure is also known as Chairside bleaching and usually requires only one dental visit. The dentist will smear a protective gel on your gums in order to protect them. Then a bleaching agent, usually hydrogen peroxide, is used on the teeth. This bleaching will start working on the stains and lighten them in about 20 minutes. The application can be repeated until the desired results are achieved.
- At-Home Whitening:As the name suggests, this whitening method can be done at home with the help of a dentist. The dentist will provide you with a custom-made tray for use at home. Instructions will be given on how to wear the trays containing the bleaching agent and the duration of time. This method can be opted if you are more comfortable getting the procedure done at home. This process is slow and may take a few weeks to show its results.
- Stain Removal Toothpaste:These kinds of toothpaste containing mild abrasives, when scrubbed against the teeth, will help remove the surface stains. They are absolutely safe to use and also have additional polishing agents to enhance the stain removal qualities. Unlike bleaches, these products can only remove the surface stains of the teeth but not whiten them.
Call us at Robin Lambert Mells DDS Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Teeth Whitening